The letter Z may not be the most commonly used letter in the English language, but it still has its share of delicious food items. From fruits and vegetables to grains and even a few surprises, here are 30 food items that start with the letter Z.
Fruits & Vegetables
- Zucchini: This popular green summer squash is low in calories and high in nutrients.
- Zinfandel Grapes: These dark purple grapes are used to make the famous wine of the same name.
- Zante Currants: Similar to raisins, these small dried fruits come from a type of grape called the Black Corinth.
- Ziziphus (Jujube): This small, sweet fruit is native to Asia and has been used in traditional medicine for centuries.
- Zucchini Blossoms: These edible flowers have a delicate flavor and are commonly stuffed or fried.
- Zucchini Squash: Another variety of the zucchini plant, this squash has a yellow skin and a slightly different taste.
- Zebra Tomato: This striped tomato is a hybrid of the red and green varieties, with a slightly sweeter flavor.
- Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles): These spiralized zucchini strands make for a healthier alternative to traditional pasta.
- Zenzero (Ginger): A root vegetable commonly used in Asian cuisine, ginger adds a spicy kick to dishes.
- Zucchini Fries: These breaded and fried zucchini sticks make for a tasty appetizer or side dish.
Grains & Legumes
- Ziti: This tube-shaped pasta is often used in baked pasta dishes like lasagna.
- Zeera (Cumin): A popular spice in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine, cumin adds a warm, earthy flavor to dishes.
- Zongzi: These steamed glutinous rice dumplings are traditionally eaten during the Dragon Boat Festival in China.
- Za’atar: A blend of herbs commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking, including thyme, oregano, and sesame seeds.
- Zucchini Bread: This sweet bread is a delicious way to use up extra zucchini and makes for a great breakfast or snack.
- Zenbu Chahan (Japanese Fried Rice): A popular dish in Japan, this fried rice is made with soy sauce, sake, and vegetables.
- Za’atar Flatbread: This Middle Eastern flatbread is topped with a mixture of herbs and spices, including za’atar.
- Ziti al Forno: A baked pasta dish made with ziti, tomato sauce, and cheese.
- Zulfikar (Persian Rice Pudding): This creamy rice pudding is flavored with rose water and saffron.
- Zapiekanka: A popular Polish street food, this open-faced sandwich is topped with cheese and a variety of toppings.
Other Surprising Z Foods
- Zabaglione: This Italian dessert is made by whisking together egg yolks, sugar, and wine over low heat until thick and creamy.
- Zeppole: These deep-fried doughnuts are a popular Italian treat, often filled with jam or custard.
- Zuppa Toscana: A hearty soup made with sausage, potatoes, and kale, commonly served in Tuscany.
- Zwieback: A type of crisp toast often used for teething babies or as a topping for soups.
- Zhajiangmian (Chinese Soybean Paste Noodles): This popular Chinese dish features noodles topped with a savory meat and soybean paste sauce.
- Zong (Chinese Rice Dumplings): Similar to zongzi, these glutinous rice dumplings are often filled with sweet or savory ingredients.
- Za’atar Chicken: Chicken marinated in a blend of herbs and spices, including za’atar, then grilled to perfection.
- Zooper Doopers: An Australian frozen treat that comes in various flavors and is popular among children.
- Zesty Cheeseburger Wraps: These wraps feature all the classic flavors of a cheeseburger in an easy-to-eat handheld wrap.
- Za’atar Roasted Chickpeas: A healthy and flavorful snack of roasted chickpeas coated in za’atar spice blend.
List of Other Food Items with Letter Z
|1||Zucchini||A type of summer squash that can be eaten raw or cooked.|
|2||Ziti||A type of pasta that is long and tubular in shape.|
|3||Zest||The outer peel of citrus fruits, often used to add flavor to dishes.|
|4||Za’atar||A Middle Eastern spice blend made from sesame seeds, dried thyme, and sumac.|
|5||Zinfandel||A variety of red grape that’s used to make robust red wine.|
|6||Zebra Cake||A cake with stripes that resemble a zebra’s stripes.|
|7||Zander||A type of fish found in Europe, similar to pike.|
|8||Zuppa||The Italian word for soup.|
|9||Zarzuela||A Spanish seafood stew containing various types of fish and shellfish.|
|10||Zwieback||A type of dry, sweetened bread that’s been baked twice.|
|11||Zampone||An Italian dish consisting of a stuffed pig’s foot.|
|12||Zuccotto||An Italian dessert made with sponge cake and ice cream or whipped cream.|
|13||Zrazy||A Polish dish made from sliced and stuffed beef, which is then rolled and fried or braised.|
|14||Zerde||A Turkish dessert made from rice, sugar, rose water, and saffron.|
|15||Zigeuner Sauce||A spicy and tangy sauce often served with meat dishes in Germany.|
|16||Ziti Al Forno||Baked ziti pasta, usually with several cheeses.|
|17||Zebra Tomato||A variety of tomato that has dark and light green stripes.|
|18||Zabaglione||An Italian dessert made from egg yolks, sugar, and a sweet wine.|
|19||Zarangollo||A typical Murcian dish in Spain made with eggs, zucchini, and onions.|
|20||Zaleti||Italian cookies made from cornmeal and often filled with raisins and pine nuts.|
|21||Zamponi||Italian sausage-stuffed pig trotter, traditionally served on New Year’s Eve.|
|22||Zereshk Polo||A Persian dish of rice and barberries, often served with chicken.|
|23||Zopf||A type of Swiss bread, braided and brushed with egg yolk before baking.|
|24||Zalabiya||An Egyptian dessert similar to a doughnut, often soaked in syrup.|
|25||Zampina||An Italian sausage typically made from pork, lamb, or veal.|
|26||Zoni||A Japanese soup containing mochi rice cakes, often eaten on New Year’s Day.|
|27||Zerdeçal||Turkish word for turmeric, a bright yellow spice often used in curries.|
|28||Zimtsterne||German cinnamon star cookies, typically made during the Christmas season.|
|29||Zingara Sauce||A sauce made with tomatoes, mushrooms, ham, and tongue, often served with meat or fish.|
|30||Zerdeçal||Turkish word for turmeric, a bright yellow spice often used in curries.|
|31||Zuppa Inglese||An Italian dessert layered with custard and sponge cake, similar to trifle.|
|32||Zongzi||A traditional Chinese food, made of glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings and wrapped in bamboo leaves.|
|33||Zucca||Italian word for pumpkin or squash.|
|34||Zimt||The German word for cinnamon, a spice made from the inner bark of several tree species.|
|35||Zitronenpfeffer||A German lemon pepper seasoning used on fish, chicken, or vegetables.|
|36||Zibibbo||A variety of white grape grown in Italy, also known as Muscat of Alexandria.|
|37||Zampina||An Italian sausage typically made from pork, lamb, or veal.|
|38||Zabaione||An Italian dessert, or sometimes a beverage, made with egg yolks, sugar, and a sweet wine.|
|39||Zest Lime||The outer part of a lime peel used to add flavor to foods and drinks.|
|40||Zingara||A sauce made from chopped ham, tongue, mushrooms, and truffles combined with tomato sauce.|
|41||Zafrani Pulao||An Indian saffron rice dish cooked with basmati rice, saffron, sugar, and ghee.|
|42||Zinger Burger||A type of spicy fried chicken burger popularized by KFC.|
|43||Zamorano Cheese||A sheep milk cheese from Zamora, Spain.|
|44||Zaleti Cookies||Traditional Italian cookies made from cornmeal, often served with a sweet wine.|
|45||Zopfteig||Swiss braided bread, often enjoyed on Sunday mornings.|
|46||Zarangollo Murciano||A traditional dish from Murcia, Spain, made with zucchini, onion, and scrambled eggs.|
|47||Zigeunerschnitzel||A breaded and fried pork cutlet topped with a bell pepper sauce, common in Germany.|
|48||Zereshk Polo Morgh||A Persian dish consisting of barberry rice and chicken.|
|49||Zuccotto Fiorentino||A semi-frozen, chilled dessert made with alchermes, cake and ice cream or whipped cream.|
|50||Za’atar Manakeesh||A popular Middle Eastern pizza-like dish topped with za’atar spice mix.|
From fruits and vegetables to grains, legumes, and other surprising foods, there is no shortage of delicious options that start with the letter Z. Whether you’re looking for a nutritious meal or a tasty treat, these 30 food items are sure to satisfy your cravings. So next time you’re looking for something starting with the letter Z, try one of these delicious options! So go ahead and expand your culinary horizons by trying out some of these tasty Z foods. They may just become your new favorites! So there you have it, a list of the top 30